Description & Care: The most common domesticated species of hedgehog kept as a pet is the white-bellied hedgehog, also called African pygmy hedgehog (Atelerix albiventris). Other species kept as pets include the Egyptian long-eared hedgehog (Hemiechinus auritus auritus) and the Indian long-eared hedgehog (Hemiechinus collaris). Several new colors of hedgehogs have been created that include albino and pinto hedgehogs. Pinto is a color pattern, rather than a color: a total lack of color on the quills and skin beneath in distinct patches. Domesticated species prefer a warm climate (above 22 °C, 72 °F) and do not naturally hibernate.
Hedgehogs produce very little dander and are often sensitive to oils found in wood, especially cedar, but aspen is often tolerated.
Size: about 5-8 inches
Life Span: about 5 years
Diet: Pet hedgehogs are insectivores and enjoy insects but may eat such table foods as cooked, lean chicken, turkey, beef or pork. They will often eat small amounts of vegetables and fruit. Hedgehogs are lactose-intolerant and will have stomach problems after consuming most dairy products, though occasional plain low-fat yogurt or cottage cheese seem to be well tolerated. They can be fed hedgehog kibble specifically designed with appropriate vitamins and nutrients.
* Please research your area regarding any legal restrictions for owning or breeding pet hedge hogs in your area of the United States- the following is only a tentative list of restrictions:
- In Idaho and Oregon, European hedgehogs cannot be kept as pets. Four-toed hedgehogs may legally be kept as pets.
- In New Jersey and Wyoming, a permit is required.
- In Wisconsin, an import permit from the state department of agriculture is required to bring a hedgehog into the state.
- In Fairfax County, Virginia, it became legal to keep hedgehogs as pets in 2019.
- In Pennsylvania, hedgehogs may not be imported into the state, but hedgehogs in the state as of 1992 and their descendants are allowed.
- It is currently illegal to own a hedgehog in California, Georgia, Hawaii, New York City, and Washington, D.C.
* courtesy of Wiki
Be the first to review this product.
- About 3 Weeks
- 2.60 LBS